Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Will be a Great ESL Teacher Whether I Choose to or Not

Finished teaching today with a few more surprises. It turns out that rather than filling in for a week and teaching the English Zone's curriculum and classes it will be spread out to a month. I actually just wrapped up an hour and fifteen minute lesson in which only two of six students showed up. I managed to change the majority of the lesson on the fly. This is not a self-congratulatory post as much as it is a "Look what they have done to me!!" kind of rant. My constantly changing schedule has brought this about in me. Example: It seems for now that the last two weeks of January my in-class teaching hours will jump from fifteen to twenty-nine. This will put me heavy into overtime so I am almost expecting this to change by the time the 18th rolls around because the bank shall not break. My schedule has been changed too many times and on too short of notice at this point to even bother me anymore. These circumstances used to elicit anger and copious amounts of emails to my parents, Emily and my cousin Steve. Now it comes with a melancholic guffaw. More a chuckle than guffaw - I was just that desperate to use "guffaw". Anyhoo.. It seems as though I will be the baddest, raddest ESL teacher in the world even though the odds are high this will come against my will. I am at least grateful that I am out of panic mode when they do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment