Tuesday, December 1, 2009

THE Pea Coat

This past Saturday I made the trek to Seoul to invest in a new coat. I needed something a little heavier than I own now. I had been looking forward to this for a while now because this was the first time I'd be seeing a tailor and having something custom made for me!! I can report that it went fantastically.
After walking by a handfull of shops with some potential, my friends and I ran into a guy who seemed to know what's what. He ushered me into his shop downstairs and proceeded to pour on the honey talk. I must say, he was probably the best salesman who's ever made a pitch to me. Generally speaking, I am pretty good at backing out of purchases. Sure, there has been a time or two (as Daniel, Alex and Gus can attest to) where I have been lectured by a salesman for upwards of an hour, looking desperately at anyone who could me away from them. When my nicer, "I'll hear you out" side clash with my frugal nature, frugality saves the day. I like to sit and think about a purchase for a few days and THEN go back and get it. Not the case this time around. He could have signed me up to buy 5 coats and I probably would have been down.

His English was great, and from my limited knowledge he really seemed to know what he was doing. He had some celebrity photos that he had made clothing for. Nothing much stood out except for Kobe Bryant. If you see KB tell him he now knows somebody who knows somebody who knows you. He gave me the "English teacher" price, as opposed to what he called the "professional athlete" price. This Saturday I will be heading up to Seoul to pick up my new, double breasted, cashmere navy pea coat!! Complete with my name stitched inside. No worries, I resisted the urge to request "E-Money".

No comments:

Post a Comment