Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Teaching Decisions & My Life Visions

Rhyming took precedence here in regards to the title. It was either this or prospectus and trying to find a metaphorical use of rectus. My schedule hasn't changed in the past week and a half so I suppose I was due for another one. It seems as though I will be losing the aforementioned coteacher (Lt. Norman Dike - see video 2 posts below) in addition to my original co-teacher last semester. I currently have a set up where I teach 20 classes split between 3 teachers (14 with main, 2 with Mrs. Lim, my original co-teacher, and 4 with Lt. Dike). Currently I see 4 classes of 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th grade one time per week.
My new schedule would have me seeing 3rd grade, 6th grade and two of the 5th grade classes twice per week (as opposed to just once currently) while losing out on the other two 5th grade classes and the whole 4th grade entirely. They will also add two teacher's English conversation classes that I will do which will bump me to 22 but (a) this would've happened regardless and (b) after about two months all the teachers get too busy to go anyway.

There are pro's and con's to both scenarios: The 6th graders are my favorite class this year so seeing them two times per week would be stellar. On the other hand, the 4th graders are a close second for favorite status and not teaching them at all is a bitter pill. I call it a bitter pill despite having trouble with those classes (insert Lt. Dike) because I love those kids that much.
In this new scenario, all my teaching hours would be with my main co-teacher, Mrs. Kim. She is awesome and an excellent teacher. The plus of not having to rock out class with Lt. Dike is slighted by losing Mrs. Lim, who I absolutely adore. Mrs. Lim actually called my main co-teacher pleading to not lose me which really speaks to how well we get along. By the way, the Westerner who would take my place with the good Lieutenant would fit much better stylistically with her anyway because he's stockpiled experience and seems like more of a disciplinarian than myself.

All in all, it seems as though this trade comes out about even so I haven't been too high or low on it since finding out. I did propose, though due to scheduling it seems all for naught, that I trade the teacher's convo classes to get back with my original co-teacher. This would be trading in two puff classes for two real ones but would probably make things a lot easier for Mrs. Lim. Alas, it doesn't look as though it's meant to be.

- On to the Life Visions -I have been giving a lot of thought to my generalized plan of attack on life and currently I am thinking this (for any of you who have been asking or more realistically for no one who's been asking but certainly wondering)::
  • Take the GRE this summer in KoreaFinish my contract at the end of August
  • Take two months, roughly, to make my way back home and in doing so travel through Southeast Asia, India, Egypt, Southern Italy/France and into Spain
  • Arrive to a crowd of adoring and longing fans in the US around the end of October. The term "crowd" is a flexible one and may unexpectedly transform into mob, small handful or smattering.
  • Take two months for graduate school applications and enjoy the hill country with my parents and animals. "Grad school for what?" you ask -- excellent question but let's move on -- hurry, there's no time! -- loud noises and distractions.
  • During these two months I hope to develop a hobby (Spanish or photography but leaning towards the former) and take frequent visits to Austin.
  • A 6 month lease in the ATX starting at the beginning of January to run through the .. well, you do the math.
  • Start Grad school for something or other in the fall of 2011.
I here there are some excellent graduate programs out there for prospective road pavers.


T
hat's all for now! I'm off to have a The Pacific marathon at my friend Pat's house. I have heard mixed reviews but I'll let Tommy Lee Jones handle my rebuttal "I don't care."

No comments:

Post a Comment