Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How I Spend My Time

If one were to gauge my life and goings-on in Korea by my facebook profile (and the subsequent pictures tagged) they might be shocked and appalled. This post is to shed some light and hopefully calm a few people. Saying I have had a good time in Korea might mirror an Old School conversation:

Frank: I had an awesome time!
Beanie: I know that you had an awesome time. I think the entire town knows you had an awesome time.
[to Mitch]
Beanie: And wouldn't you want those times to keep on going?

Now that I have switched recently to a money-saving mode, I thought I'd fill you in on some of the things that actually keep me busy (what the fbook photos don't show you!). I have had the opportunity to focus on some new hobbies (and old as well) during my time as an Incheon resident.
I have written more often than I ever have before. This shows up in these blog posts of course but mostly in my journal. I find that living, traveling and operating on my own can serve up a little cabin fever but writing has helped to temper that. It was the number one item on my Christmas wish list and my parents certainly delivered. The first half of my time here I didn't have one but because the initial 4-5 months move so quickly, I didn't pine for one until my life slowed down and found a rythm.
Reading has also taken up a lot of my time. Like writing, these two didn't pick up until around the halfway mark. I have been flying through books (save John Adams which one does not fly through) and have really enjoyed having the free time to do so. The first time a family friend asked me "What do you do with your free time [besides the incriminating photos]?", my answer was something along the lines of "Uh.. Mmmm..". Now, I would cite reading and writing as my go-to answers. Take that illiteracy, reading and writing to save the day!! -- I have, as you can tell, become quite edumucated.
Alas, you might find yourself asking, "Evan really splits his time evenly between intellectual pursuits and those of a slightly less savory nature??" No, does that sound like me? I have been able to catch up on lots of television as well. I have plowed through Mad Men, Californication, and am currently watching The Pacific and Treme. I was going to put a review in parentheses next to each but I realized they would all say "wonderful" with The Pacific garnering a "wonderful -". I recommend them all. I am convinced Duchovny is the only actor who could pull off Hank Moody in Californication, and if you are of age.., you should most definitely watch it. Anyone else in that role would seem silly and contrived.

Ya Hank, get on with your bad self

Lastly, in keeping with the Evan you all know, I have spent a great deal of my time at PC Bangs (Internet cafes) catching up on good ol' video game time. With Starcraft 2 around the corner, I have my work cut out for me if I ever want to join the leagues of 4 notches below professional-level gaming.


Video games, television, reading & writing, and of course changing the lives of many Korean students. It don't get much better.

1 comment: